Thursday, July 3, 2014

I Ache.

I ache.  Really ache.  All over ache.  From the bottoms of my feet to my shoulders ache.  

I love being here in Alaska, but the work is definitely not for the faint of heart.  I admire Becky so much for the grace & endurance in which she works.  She is tireless.  I'm sure she gets tired, but she never, ever acts like it.  

These old joints just ache.  And this evening, while working in the kitchen at the clean up station, I did something to my right ankle on the outside.  Something snapped.  Not sure what's up with that, but it nearly buckled me to the floor.  My calves are so tight from all the walking, and finally, something gave way.  I hope it's better tomorrow after a full nights rest.  I hobbled  back to the Lodge after the dinner mess was cleaned up.  And I ache.

Victoria is doing very well up here.... she is loving working in the kitchen and is also tireless.  I'm so proud of her!  Her feet ache too, but after a short rest in our room, she's back out there with the teens.  Good for her!  Another night of Teen Challenges where they'll get all dirty.....They will clean off in the lake before getting back in our room at midnight to take a shower.  She is definitely having fun.

I ache.  Every joint from my hip bones to my toes ache.  I wonder when I'll get used to this?  Hopefully soon.....

Some random happenings & observances here at Camp Marantha:

1.  It's beautiful here.
2.  I brought Kansas City's hot weather with me.... it had to have been in the mid 80's here today.  
3.  Sunset tonight is 11:39 PM.
4.  It never really gets dark here.
5.  People are very friendly up here.
6.  No need for air conditioning here.
7.  A little boy caught a fish tonight and took a sharp knife & cutting board from the kitchen, with his parents, and gutted his fishy.  I had to clean it up.  Nasty.
8.  It's peaceful here.
9.  I took a nap today to the sound of children playing outside.  It was serene.
10.  Camp food is NOT for those who are trying to watch what they eat....  Not very healthy at all....  but it sure is tasty!

And I ache.

***

And that's my life so far....


No comments: