Sunday, July 4, 2010

Dominica, Day Whatever

Happy 4th of July!!! This will be the 2nd time I've been out of the country on a Work & Witness Trip over the 4th of July. We had fireworks in Ukraine, but I doubt we'll have them here in Dominica, since they are pretty much modeled after the Brits. LOL

Saturday ~ a Fun Day. We got up early, made sack lunches and headed out to the Emerald Pool. What a beautiful place THAT was!!! We hiked into the pool, which was fed by a waterfall. The hike in was kinda rugged, but once we got there, off went the outer clothes and into the pool I went! Had to climb over some pretty big rocks to get there, but once in, Ohhhhhhhhhhh, how refreshing it was! We loved playing in this pool! Most of our team got wet, which was good. Once I get my pictures uploaded to my computer, I'll post them. Just trust me, it was beautiful!

After that, we drove to Roseau, the capitol of Dominica. We did some local shopping and I'm happy with my purchases. Got something for all of my grandkids, and Don got a islandy Christmas shirt. Very cool.

Next, we drove to Trafalgar Falls, which is an area where there are 2 waterfalls. One is hot, the other is cold. Very cool. We hiked, or I should say some of us hiked to the falls. The last part of the hike was over lots and lots of boulders. I made my way over boulders to a little pool of very warm water. Not refreshing at all after sweating my way over the boulders. So, I climbed back out and went another direction and found some of the men. And I found a pool of COOL water! So, Don, Jim, Frank, Arlie & I enjoyed the cool water, took lots of pics. That place is so beautiful. Sorta reminded me some of the places in Yosemite.

Hiked out, sweat alot, and then we headed to this mountain in the clouds, and the Fresh Water Lake. I think that the ride UP the mountain was classified as The Ride We Would Surely Die On... Talk about narrow mountain roads with cliffs and no guard rails! I had to shut my eyes for most of it. What you don't see won't frighten you! LOL It was so nice being in the COOL weather for a change. At least for a little while. We enjoyed a cup of coffee before heading back down the mountain to Roseau.

Once back in Roseau, Pastor Dan, Don & I went to the IGA grocery store and bought the staples that we will be delivering to needy families today. Don bought me 2 Bounty candy bars. MMMmmm...

Next, we went to a little village past Roseau, and had some really good BBQ Chicken, fixed by Barbara, a sweet Dominican lady. Roseau and this village are settled right next to the Caribbean Sea. So the views we had on Sunday were really beautiful. We got back to the mission house around 9:30 last night. I promptly went to bed. I can't remember when I've ever had such a workout! LOL Not to self: GET IN SHAPE!!!

***
And that's my life so far...

1 comment:

Julie said...

My goodness, what adventures you are having! I can't wait to see pictures, I bet it really is beautiful. So glad to see some updates from you, how great that you have internet access there. Hope you keep having a fun, fulfilling time while you're there!