Monday, August 6, 2012

Things are Lookin' UP!

So, things are lookin' up!  (Note to self:  Don't reread past blogs 'cuz they will make you cry.)

***
Vic is home!  She had a MAHHHHHHvelous time at camp, er Kamp.  She spent the week at Kamp Kanakuk, which is a Christian sports camp.  This is a camp that several of my choir kids had attended, but I didn't know much about it.  Well, this past spring, SEVERAL people at different times suggested that we find a way to send Vic to this Kamp.  It is very expensive, but the Lord provided and we sent her.  I have to admit that I was a bit nervous about it, but it was needless worry, as so many things in life are.  Needless worries.  She LOVED it.  She kept busy the entire time, whether it was canoeing, kayaking, rock wall climbing, tree top zipping, swimming, blobbing, flag football, whiffle ball, or just having quiet time in devotions with the Lord.  I LOVE that on the way home from Kamp, she said SEVERAL times how she feels like she's changed!  "Who are you and what have you done with my daughter???"  She feels like her relationship with the Lord has deepened and she DESIRES to spend time in THE WORD!  Wonderful, soothing words to this mother.  She had 2 college aged counselors who impacted her life in a dramatic way.  She wants to model their habit of waking up 30 minutes early to be in The Word, and to let that be what she does 30 minutes before going to bed at night.  Thank You, Jesus!  Sometimes, it does take more than a mother suggesting these things.  Vic made friends, she sought after kids who looked like they were sad just to cheer them up!  She never put herself or her needs first, and always looked after the needs of others!  I LOVE that!  Well, obviously, I could go on and on....  Just know that this week was very impacting on her life.  And I'm a grateful mother.

***
I spent the weekend looking over Home School curriculum.  I think we have it figured out.  We will choose a core curriculum that is literature based.  Vic loves to read and so do I!!!  It's Sonlight curriculum and we'll choose Core 200, which is history based on Christianity and how Christianity has affected history.  Included will be History, Literature, Grammar, Spelling, and Bible.  We'll add their science curriculum, which for the sophomore year will be biology.  I LOVE biology!  Truly, I do!  We will add in Spanish for her foreign language, especially so she'll be ready for Cabo.  We will add PE, time at the gym, and piano lessons for her fine arts credit.  Our plan is to get our day started at 7, have devotions, breakfast, straighten up around the house and start school at 9.  The first couple of hours will be instruction with me, and then she will have independent studies, which will be overseen by me.  She will have a level of accountability that is self-motivating.  She's excited and so am I.  God is good.

***
We are lookin' for a puppy.  Spent a lot of time last night on Craig's List and have made several inquiries.  Lots of cuteness out there.

***
Today is Mom~n~Meg Day.  Gonna go hang out with Megz and Kenzie... pool time awaits.

***
And that's my life so far.  And it's all good.



1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh, I am so happy to hear you sounding more upbeat and cheerful. And I'm glad Vic had such a great experience at camp. I remember a Christian youth camp experience I had around that age - sure was good for me.
Sounds like you've got a great plan set up for school, I can't wait to hear about your homeschooling adventures. It sure is a fun way to watch your kids grow. :-)