Sunday, April 27, 2008

Grandma Plaskett's Chocolate Icing Recipe

HAPPY 23RD BIRTHDAY MEGHAN RENEE' !!! Dad & I are so grateful that the Lord gave you to us!!! We love you more than you can imagine, and are so proud of the woman that you have become. It's great seeing you all grown up & on your own... Totally satisfying as a parent to see your child so successful. We could not be more proud of you than we are today. So, celebrate your life!!!

Now, on to the rest of this blog entry:

This recipe is a Plaskett Family recipe.... on it's fourth generation now, being my girls. Everyone always asks about this recipe, so here it is! It is so yummy, a cross between a glaze & frosting. I've been making this recipe for almost 30 years, but the only thing is, that if you cook it too long, and put it on a cake, it will peel off like rubber, so says Grandma Plaskett, my MIL. Apparently she has done that a few times. I never have.... LOL

This is a half recipe.... to be used on a 9 x 13 cake. If you want to frost a layer cake, then double this recipe.

In a saucepan, mix:

1/2 cup of sugar
1 heaping Tablespoon of good quality cocoa
1/2 cup of hot water
1/8 teaspoon of salt

Mix thoroughly (I used my whisk) and slowly bring to a boil. In the meantime,

Put 1 heaping tablespoon of cornstarch in a little bowl, and add just enough cold water to make it kinda thin.

Once the cocoa mixture has come to a boil, turn the fire down & slowly add the cornstarch mixture. Continually stir until the icing reaches a consistency of kinda thin pudding. Turn off the fire.

Add 1/2 stick of unsalted butter & 1 1/2 teaspoon of good quality vanilla. Stir.

Set the pan aside to cool down. Stir it every once in a while. Ice the cake when it's cooled down.

Eat & enjoy!!!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Thank you for my cake and purse! I loved them both! I switched out my purses this morning...and I have come to the conclusion that my wallet is too fat!! LOL...time to switch that, too :-)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for making my birthday happy! I love you!